Re: [DL] Snipers

If the miner knows the area, I guess the manitou does as well. Maybe it could lay some hunting snares. It could also leave some dead (or nearly so) bodies around for psychological warfare and to make the posse stop long enough to get shot at. If things get too bad, the miner can always fight control for a vital turn or two.

From: JAMES KILLICK <james.killick@btinternet.com>
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Snipers
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:54:18 +0000 (GMT)

--- ewilliams <ewilliams@onlinemac.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of questions regarding your sniper
> Why is he shooting at them?
> Is he after a specific person?
> Is he trying to kill them or warn them off?
> Is he smart enough to move between firings?
>
> If he is trying to warn them off, killing off horses
> would be an obious
> move.
> If he is trying to kill one person, then that person
> is probably hit,
> but chance can make it not deadly.
> If he is trying to kill them off, it would be more
> logical to employ
> guerilla tactics -- sniping at them on and off
> during their ride.

Thanks to everybody who has offered advice so far.

The sniper is a miner who has been possessed by a
manitou he freed from a cave it had been trapped in
years earlier by Indians.  The miner has butchered his
Indian concubine, his son from a previous marriage and
the delivery boy from the local general stores.  The
heroes have discovered the massacre at the miner's
house and are heading across the open land to the mine
in the hills where the manitou/miner waits.  The
manitou is simply on a kill-happy spree.

I want the sniper combat to be scary, real and hard
but I want the players to feel that they have a fair
chance of success.

Regards
James