Re: [HoE] R.I.P.:My posse

In a message dated 9/24/98 1:50:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bflory@
frontiernet.net writes:

> There were five automatons.
>  Had they run, they would have lived...there were several easy escape
>  routes
>  that the automatons were to big to fit through.  As I said, this was just
>  to put a little fear into the posse.
>  No such luck.

Most PCs never, ever even consider running. A lot of times its just a bad
habit they pick up from AD&D. "Run? Are you nuts? Wimp!"  (I should point out
several KODT strips as further examples.)  They automatically assume that you'
ve thrown some bad guys at them and expect them to fight.  You have to try a
couple different carrots.

10 automatons might have made them think about it, unless they've never seen
or
fought automatons before.  But that's still the wrong kind of carrot.

If the PCs don't get the clue, throw an NPC into the group that "suggests"
retreat as a course of action, or if the PCs are really dense, have the NPC
run to get things started.  Hopefully the group will follow suit.

Most of the time you may just have to come out and say, "This is the GM
speaking. I'd really recommend you guys retreat on this one.  Trust me, there'
s nothing to gain by fighting and you'll probably all die."

Or, if faced by overwhelming odds, have them make "morale" checks (guts
rolls) with a TN of 9 or 11.  If they fail, tell them, "You've lost your
nerve, you're running."

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 9/24/98 1:50:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bflory@frontiernet.net writes:

> There were five automatons.
>  Had they run, they would have lived...there were several easy escape routes
>  that the automatons were to big to fit through.  As I said, this was just
>  to put a little fear into the posse.
>  No such luck.

Most PCs never, ever even consider running. A lot of times its just a bad
habit they pick up from AD&D. "Run? Are you nuts? Wimp!"  (I should point out
several KODT strips as further examples.)  They automatically assume that
you've thrown some bad guys at them and expect them to fight.  You have to try
a couple different carrots.

10 automatons might have made them think, unless they've never seen or fought

---- End included message ----