[HoE] Re: [DEADLANDS] Heroes gone to the Dark side(non-rant).

well, i have to admit that some of you  seem to have the rare occurence to
have players with a clue be the people playing the "evil" characters.  I
wasn't so lucky and so many of my experiences were quite like those of Templar
Simon.
  I will admit that I am jealous of you since i do agree that a well played
character "evil" or not, but very three dimensional, makes the game most
enjoyable.  However, that occurence of an evil character changing is very rare
in my experience.  Being evil and getting rewarded for it is very addicting
and it generally leads to betrayal of, if not the entire posse, at least
someone.   I might accept the history of Laika better if there was any
indication that anything bad was happening to her due to her association with
the manitou. There's no monkey's paw from what has been described(and i do
acknowledge that I don't know the whole story so there very well could be).
Second, she does know that she has a "guardian spirit" but she doesn't think
that the "voice in her head" could be it and doesn't wonder why it's telling
her to kill?  I guess though, if the rest of the posse is bad maybe there is
no one who cares to tell her that she's not doing the right thing.  That may
be the crux of the problem.  One or two evil characters in a party with good
ones can make an interesting and balancing mix(as long as no one has an
artifact class present from the DM, ahem).  We played a game of D&D where it
was nearly evenly split(no chaotic evils, no lawful goods).  With the very
good role-playing that ensued, the evil characters were swayed to the goods'
side, lost their selfishness, etc. or it became that, confronted with real
evil i.e. demons, evil gods, the evil characters realized that evil doesn't
care for anything, even or especially them.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie Rocketman(paraphrased) "We may be
gangsters but at least we're not Nazis."(as the gangster proceeds to  try to
shoot the Nazi).

velkyn