Re: [HoE] Caseless ammo and modern weapons

Allan Seyberth wrote:

> The function is the same - hammer/pin --> chemical  -->  boom  -->  flying
> projectile.  But today's weapons are more accurate, have greater range, are
> generally lighter, more powerful , more reliable, and reload faster.  You
> can still find cap and ball weapons that function, but would you want to
> take it against someone armed with a Bernelli semi-automatic shotgun?
>
> I would give all of the high tech weapons in HoE a base +2 to hit and
> probably add +1 point of damage per die.  This is to differentiate it from
> the baseline weapons found in Deadlands.  I wouldn't give 'em any more
> bonuses, because there is a point of diminishing returns and there is no
> benefit to any more improvements.
>
> Now, as people learn to cope, and the lack of a manufacturing base
> indicates the loss of weapons with less functional components, these
> bonuses should be removed to show the loss of high technology.

Another 2 cents:

I think that the location that we would see more advancement than in replacing
percussion (which has been kept, I suspect, because of ease and reliability --
an electrical mechanism would require a new part -- most likely a crystal -- to
replace or a battery) would be in the improvement of the actual bullets.  Here,
I think, would be a better place to give bonuses than in the guns themselves.
The shape of the round could improve accuracy rather than the construction of a
gun.

For those wh have been following the who is Donald Sutherland thread on the
Deadlands list, I thought I would point out here that he has a cameo role in
Terminator 2 as the biker from whom Arnie takes clothes and motorcycle.
--
Matthew M. DeForrest, Ph.D.         Adjunct Professor of Communications and
Adjunct Professor of English           Adjunct Professor of English

"Let him be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead are not
powerless.  Dead - I say?  There is no death.  Only a change of worlds."  Chief
Seattle, "Our People are Ebbing Away like a Receding Tide," 1855.