Re: [HoE] Smith & Robards (was: Dooomsayers)

In a message dated 2/20/99 10:54:59 PM Central Standard Time, pphalen@gti.net
writes:

> > Yes, yes, I know....but I have to be true to my feelings...I did not
>  > care for Smith and Robards!
>
>  Funny thing is that before I read S&R, I didn't really feel like Mad
>  Scientists belonged in the game.  After reading it, I certainly changed my
>  mind.  Can't wait to get the Posse to SLC!

City O'Gloom did more for me wanting to get any players I might manage to get
to SLC moreso than S&R did, but that's just my personal thing.

For me, it's a toss up between COG and ROB for best boxed set so far.

>  Just to show my feelings, my least favorite is Law Dogs.  I know that a lot
>  of players felt that having a bazillion different guns helps add flavor to
>  the game, it did nothing for me (especially since, in most cases, handguns
>  do 3d6, rifles do 3d8, BIG rifles do 3-4d10...)
>
>  Although I like the Player/Marshall format of the other books, It just
>  didn't work in Law Dogs.  I found it annoying to have to flip to the back
of
>  the book just to see the stats....

I dunno. The information was useful and I found it to be really well written,
but there's something I can't put my finger on that I didn't care for. I still
think it's a useful reference, though. I must admit that I do find the Rangers
and Pinks more accessable than I did from just the main book. Still not one of
my favourites (though certainly not bad).
>  >
>  > But I STILL bought it!
>
>  I'm still getting Devil's Tower, although I'll never run it, and it got
some
>  pretty bad reviews on the list...

Devil's Tower is kind of a Deadlands "Tomb of Horrors," (which is the best way
I can describe it). It IS useable and a good way to cross both games over, but
I would have to rework a lot of it before I'd use it. I dislike highly linear
adventures, and I also dislike large uses of deus ex machina, which Devil's
Tower uses a lot of.

Still, if you're willing to put some work into it, it is a cracking well
thought out setting.

Just my two cents.

--Jacques