Re: [HoE] Hubcaps and Armor Question [Charles]

>>>I would add that if the damage bonus of a weapon is ever reduced to zero
>>>by armor, all damage is negated.
>>
>> You know - when I was looking this up in the HoE rulebook - I didn't see
>> that.  The paragraph on armor and melee just says to reduce
>> <note to self - check AR before posting, check DL>
>
>Check out Main Rules, pg. 97 under Armor in Hand-to-Hand.  It doesn't
>explictly state the above, but it does say that if someone has no
>additional damage dice besides its strength, it simply fails to penetrate.
>It doesn't specify whether this should be checked before or after armor
>reductions, so I assume it's after.
>
>How about it Charles?  Do we check if an attacker has damage dice for this
>purpose before or after armor reductions?

It so happens that I had a close-up encounter with this issue in our game
just last night. Reno (my character--a Templar) whacked up on this
bizarre junker-made critter with his sword: STR+2d8. Turns out the thing
was AV4, which reduced the 2d8 to nothin'. Hence no damage, even from his
Strength.

A little while later, in another fight, Reno's dog Snakebite chomped down
on another critter, doing STR+1d6. Turns out that this one had AV2, which
was enough to reduce his 1d6 to nothing. So he did no damage either.

So, in answer to the question, if armor reduces damage to Strength only,
there is no penetration; the attack does no damage at all.

--

Charles Ryan
Deadlands: Hell on Earth Brand Manager