[HoE] Denver Shootings

This was posted today:

"Well, we went from geeks on the Jesse show back to psychotic
mass-murderers.  I realize I may be nitpicking over an offhand comment,
but I'd appreciate it if just once these reporters could do the right
thing and not promote prejudicial stereotypes and ignorance.
Marc Fisher wrote a Washington Post article titled "Gunmen Recalled as
Outcasts ", although I've seen it in the Cleveland Plain Dealer as "On
Hitler's Birthday, a rampage in black."  In the article, he suggests
that the shooters might have been inspired by Dungeons and Dragons,
which told them to wear black trenchcoats, paint their fingernails
black, and listen to Marilyn Manson.  Here's the actual passage:
> Inspired by fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Gothic has
> become a fascination of many American high schoolers, some of whom
> simply dress and paint their fingernails black while others immerse
> themselves in a pseudo-medieval world of dark images.
Luckily, this ignoramous has an email address: fisherm@washpost.com
So do me a favor... if you can write an intelligent, non-flaming letter
to this guy and let him know that we object to the insinuation thatRPGs
somehow cause people to mow down students with a hail of bullets, I'd
appreciate it.  Please keep in mind that although it might be ahopeless
cause, we should do our best to convince the media that Planet
Basketball is a peaceful planet and we have no weapons.  Frothing atthe
mouth and threatening to use your Level 10 Fireball spell might not be
the way to go."

I have been following the Denver events with horrified interest, like
most of us I'm sure. I live in the UK and the impact, I think, is
probably lost somewhat on us as our gun laws are somewhat tighter than
the US.

However, I was awaiting with anguish the opportunity for the media to
find a scapegoat excuse for the actions of the two boys involved ie.
RPGing. This happened in the Uk some years back when a gunman went on a
killing spree in Hungerford. Not long after this story entered the
spotlight the press seized on the facts that the man concerned in the
shootings had been playing a PBM. They linked the instructions found in
his house to the actions he acted out in real life.

When, when, when will it be possible for the media to see that this
hobby is no less meritious than say, football or fishing?!

I'm sure the more sane and rational of us who engage in this delightful
and rewarding hobby would not contemplate carrying out such a heinous
act as those perpetrated in Denver this week, let alone actually doing
it!