Re: [HoE] Building a computer

-----Original Message-----
From: Leanne Opaskar <lopaskar@san.rr.com>
To: hoe@gamerz.net <hoe@gamerz.net>
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 2:16 PM
Subject: [HoE] Building a computer

>Heya, junker-types (and GMs of junker-types) out there ...

Hidie-hoe!

>I was wondering if anyone out here has tried to build a computer using
>junker skills. If so, how did it work out for you? How complicated and
>how big did it get? My character is in the process of building one
>(well, OK, once she gets the skills for it, and man is it gonna take a
>while .. *sigh*)... let me 'splain. No, is too much. Let me sum up:

Inago?

>Some sort of ninja (long story) has put some sort of spiritual tracker
>on the captain of our boat. He's been using that tracker to jump us at
>every opportunity (the fink). And that's not to mention the spirit thing
>he did to another crew member that we haven't quite discovered yet ...
>we just know he did it. I want to build a device that tracks him or at
>least indicates when he's operative and in the area.
>
>Here's how I see the breakdown: first I have to build a sensor to detect
>this spiritual 'tag', and track the spirit link back to the owner when
>it is active. Then, I need a device that processes that information and
>presents it in a form readable to humans. I've decided that this is a
>passive sensor that detects active spiritual 'signatures' -- each person
>has a 'signature', and each person's spiritual energy contains that same
'signature'.

>Since we're on a boat and space is limited, I figured I'd build a
>portable computer that I could link to the sensor, and thus I could
>re-use the computer for other things. (Again, this is to save space,
>because the boat is not big. Building multiple computers would be a
>waste of space and parts.)
>
>So far, the Powers I think I need to have are:
>Sensor (this runs about 40 slots, on an estimate - passive Spirit Sense
>with a 4d8 Sensor rating and a 360 degree scan ...)
>AI (I'm probably not building another computer any time soon, it better
>be a good one)
>Brains
>Commo (input/output and a data port. Probably two to three data ports.)

It's good but for a computer I'd leave out the Sensor (unless it's got the
Voice activated thing) and put that in a plug in thing (I'll explain in a
minute). The AI isn't nessesary for basic computing but if you want the
High-End go for it. In Commo it has listing for a Keyboard & Mouse (must
haves for computers, 7 total slots) monitors and speakers (Standard for both
= 12 total slots), but the Datajack is amost always needed but as for the
communication part of Commo I'd leave it out for space (hook it put to a CB
or the like).

Now for the trackiing device use the Passive Spirit Sense but with passive
senses you don't need the rating (that's based of what it recieces, i.e.:
the signal from the Ninja's Tracker) but you do need (or really want) the
360 degrees. Add a tiny monitor & Datajack from Commo (but nothing else) and
you have a prtible Spirititual Energy Tracker that can enteract with the
computer when needed.

>I'm also suspecting I'll need Miniaturize if I really want a *portable*
>computer ... ugh ... I was running the numbers earlier and it was coming
>out to something like 32 slots *before* I added the Commo powers ... q:

If you want a prortible computer with lots of computing power think of
building it in two parts. One a small to large backpack (frame 2 and 3
respectfully) with the AI, Brains & Commo powers (giving you 16 to 31
slots). The second using a small brifecase or Laptop frame (frame 2) with
Commo (for a keyboard, mouse, monitor, tiny speaker and Datajack) and Brains
(for Dataslug ports) and not much more.

>How's this stuff worked out for you guys?

Hope this helps and doesn't determen you but this is how I see things.

> ==Leanne

Christopher Merrill
W.H.A.T.T. Member