RE: [HoE] A question on going from Weird to Wasted West

> Okay, I'm finally bringing my Weird West players to the
> Wasted West, and I
> got a problem I'd like some help with.  During the course of
> my Weird West
> campaign my players have gained quite a bit of cash (from
> memory I'd say
> about $15,000 between four characters) and, of course, once
> they reach the
> Wasted West they're not going to be able to use a bit of
> this.  My problem
> is this: should I hint that they should spend as much of this
> money as they
> can before I run this week's adventure (which will leave them
> in the Wasted
> West), or should I keep silent and just let them wander the
> Wasted West
> with bags o' worthless cash?  While it makes sense for the
> latter to occur,
> I don't want them to feel like all the adventures they went
> on to earn the
> money were a waste of time, especially since they've run
> their characters
> as a bunch of greedy fools who'll do anything for cash, and I mean
> anything.  Any thoughts?

Well, personally, I wouldn't drop any hints to the players. Especially when,
according to you, they're the greedy type. Having all of their hard earned
cash become useless will frustrate them, but if they're good roleplayers,
their characters will snarl and spit and then go out and be even greedier
and accumulate even more wealth in the Wasted West than they ever had in the
Weird West. The players might feel slightly cheated at first, but as good
roleplayers they'll rise to it and go with it.

Dropping hints, on the other hand, brings the game back to being a game,
rather than a real(ish) story you're telling them; if you can follow what I
mean.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.