[HoE] [HOPLER] Question-Generating Session

Well, our group visited a maelstrom for the first time last night, and an
interesting number of questions came up.

A) Do you draw a card for each individual passing through a section of a
maelstrom, even if they are _all_ passing through the storm on _all_ the
same round?  The rulebook stuff is a little vague, but Geiger Vision for
Doomsayers seems to imply that you look at a section of the storm and it has
a single "damage" value.

B) When you pull the card, it is not very clear what exactly is the
"result."  It says it is "spiritual damage" but doesn't elucidate further.
Is the attribute generated simply used as a Spirit roll against the
target(s)', or do you read the result as "spiritual damage" literally.
i.e....

1) I pull a 8 of diamonds, which is a 2d6.  I have the storm roll its new,
temporary "Spirit" attribute of 2d6 and each PC makes an opposed Spirit
roll, and takes the difference as damage (to the gut, as stated in the
rulebook).

2) I pull a 8 of diamonds, which is a 2d6.  I roll the 2d6 as damage (i.e.,
adding the results together and Acing as necessary, and each PC makes an
opposed Spirit roll, and takes the difference as damage.

2) is obviously a bit more lethal, which seems appropriate.  But it also
means pulling a black joker and rollling 5d12 _of damage_ can be downright
fatal (and who needs to worry about whether their mutated...when they're
probably dead :) ).

C) For the purposes of anti-radiation mutations, Edges, Templar gifts, stuff
like that, what is the nature of the storm damage considered to be?  It
doesn't seem to be radiation (which usually requires Vigor checks).  It
doesn't quite seem to be magical.  It seems to be...well, 'spiritual'.  But
a case could be made that it is either of the other two, I suppose.

D) On a mildly unrelated note, what is the TN for making Rad checks within
five miles of ground zero in Boise?  The people there are _living_ in a
maelstrom, right?  And not just the Templars, but the surrounding community.
  The book states TN 9, but are all the non-templars in Boise really making
Rad checks (5, 9, whatever) every hour, 24/7??

Yes, I know the Templars' efforts have (presumably) made the Boise Maelstrom
weaker.  But that kinda touches on C above.  The maelstrom is spiritual/evil
type damage, and the Templars' efforts towards good are reducing that.  Fair
enough, makes sense to me.  But...the actual ghost rock radiation from the
bomb dropping isn't going down simply because they're doing good, does it?
You can't reduce radiation simply by doing good/reducing the Fear Level, can
you?

But even if the TN within the Boise maelstrom is 5...wouldn't NPCs be in a
near-constant state of one degree or another of radiation poisoning/wind
loss?  Nothing in the Templar SB seems to suggest anything like that.  And
in fact, the place actually seems to be drawing more non-Templars to it.

Has this been answered before somewhere?  It really doesn't seem to make
much sense.  We noticed something similar with Sybaris (from the Doomsayer
SB) and how it was only 10-20 miles from a ground zero.  The rather facile
answer was that wind patterns and stuff can reduce the radius.  But here's
the same problem (even worse) again.  Putting communities in or near
maelstroms seems like a really good way to kill off survivors, yet two major
communities in the source material follow this pattern.

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"

Check out my website at:  http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/4991/