[HoE] Vehicle Combat

How have others gone with vehicle combat?  We tried it for the first
time last Sunday (while playing leftovers), and found it increadably
leathal.  To summerise:

Players vehicle:  Stock Pickup, one M2 on the hood and one on a pintle
mount in the bed.  One syker road warrior and a templer.

Opponents vehicle:  Stock pickup, 5 not-very-good-at-shooting mooks in
it with shotguns and rifles.

The sequence went something like:

Opponents fire, missing.
Players each fire a 3 round burst.   Both hit with all 3 shots.  The
engine is damaged, the gas tank punctured and set on fire.  A tire is
destroyed
Opponents fire, missing even worse.
Players next actions: fire another couple of bursts.  The frame takes
heavy damage, the engine is destroyed, the fuel tank takes another 2
crit hits, neither of which does anything since it is already on fire
Players next actions: fire again, the body is destroyed, another tire
goes, the gas tank gets another crit and 12 is rolled, throwing the
truck into the air, where it lands for another 49 points of damage (as
well as the 48 it already had in the body) and explodes.  No salvage
left... so much for thr road warrior wanting their V8 engine.

End first round.

Then I realised I had given it 45/9 durrability in each location instead
of just once for the whole vehicle.  It should have been gone in the
scond lot of bursts.

Of course, the players calmed down when I pointed out their pickup could
die just as easily....

Has anyone else found this with vehicle combat?  Granted the M2 is very
good at chewing through vehicles, but with the way things went a pair of
assult rifles would have ripped it up pretty good anyway.  And I guess a
real-life pickup being shot by a real-life machine gun wouldn't last
long either.

Another thought is on fixed guns.  I see a problem with aiming them,
namly if the ground isn't perfectly flat your bullets may very well go
over/under them, and there isn't anything you can do about it. (Anyone
remember playing Interstate '76?)

Using shooting with your nimbleness die type seems a bit much to easy...
is there a penelty somewhere I'm missing?

Doug.