Re: [HoE] Blessed in Hell on Earth --it begins

Michael wrote:

> --- Matthew Steflik <grifflik@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>

> Just that I don't think that enough people believe in
> higher powers (like you said) post-war. It takes a ton
> of belief to remain faithful, let alone become
> bless'ed. But the chance for a quest of faith (or
> whatever the thing was) is easier in this than TWW.

I remember reading a science fiction story (I think it was a short story,
but cant remember the title or author) about a world in which the
apocalypse had come, god had revealed himself in all his glory etc. etc.
and all the good people had gone to heavin, the bad ones had been sent to
hell, and the rest were left with no hope of salvation.  The afterlife was
real, that had been proved, but now the gates to heaven/hell were closed
and when you die thats it.

The people had split into 2 thought patterns:  "Lets start over, see what
we can make of this" and "Thats it, lets die out, it's wrong to bring new
children into this world where there is no hope"

Main character was a doctor of some sort, who was of 2 minds as to helping
a pregnant women give birth.

HoE is different, as there has been nothing to prove/disprove god
existance, the afterlife, and so on.  Because of this people can keep
belivng in a higher power looking out for them.  It wouldn't be too hard
for someone to decide that it's a nasty test being played by God (remember
the story of Job?) and that only by remaining faithful and teaching others
to be faithful to will the test end.  Once God has decided that humanity
has been tested enough, the bad things will end.

Sure it's easier to belive in something a bit more tangible, like the Glow
or the saints, but you could belive in God if you desire.

I'd probably allow a blessed in my Hoe game if someone asked.  They'd be
faced with such obstacles as a population with the attitude "thats all
very well and good, but is beliving in him going to help us right now?
The doomies heal the sick, the templers fight the abominations, what's god
ever done for me?"

Of course, thats just my opinion.

- Doug