Re: [HoE] Re: All that Mad Science, again

In a message dated 1/3/2000 2:43:29 AM Central Standard Time,
Requiem@etheric.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> To add to all the mad scientist 'forgetting how to do mad science after
> the
> manitous stop telling them how', there is a point that seems to be
> overlooked (Sorry to anyone that mentioned it already, I haven't been paying
> that close attention): Mad Science isn't Science.
   That can probably be considered one of the matters under dispute.  Mad
scientists can invent flame throwers and machine guns, and functionally the
only difference between them and a pure science weapon would be less
reliability and probably a ghost rock power source for the flame thrower, and
then again I imagine that there might very well have been pure science
technology that used ghost rock, it happens to be a very efficient fuel
source after all.  Granted, there are then the alchemists among the mad
scientists who do not seem constrained by the laws of physics as we know
them, but even that can be explained as a science of magic, the forerunner of
occult engineering.  And in the hell on earth main rulesbook, mad science was
just future science, which would require the explanation that unreliability
comes from not truly understanding the tools you are working with, like say
the difficulties the crew of that movie Galaxy Quest.  When you only half
understand what you are doing, things can definitely go wrong.

> Yes, it uses many of the same principles, but from what I have read of Smith
> And Robards, etc. Mad science has a semi-spiritual side as well. I'm not
> sure about unpowered devices but ones that use ghostrock seem to have
> suggested that they are drawing more power from it than standard science
> generators.
  I am not sure what you are saying there.  Supposedly mad science is
dependent on ghost rock because it is the most efficient fuel available at
their society's support level.  Something like a thousand times better than
coal or something, ghost rock fires lasting for years, that sort of thing.
Presumably mad scientists could work with geothermal power, solar power,
conventional nuclear, what have you, presuming that the manitous would
inspire such a device that doesn't help their plan that well, or the mad
scientist was a scientist and as such capable of fiddling with the designs.

.
> If all the Manitous do is allow the Mad scientist to ignore that principle
   Uhm, just what principle would that be?  The spiritual energy to physical
energy conversion?