Re: [HoE] Doomsayers and Tolerance Question [Official]

In a message dated 1/2/00 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pwilson@depauw.edu writes:

<<    The reason I ask the question is due to an apparent contradiction in
 Children o' the Atom.  The power description is quite clear in stating
 that it only provides protection against radiation.  However, on page 53
 the description of  "sludge" describes tolerance as protecting a
 doomsayer from both the toxic atmosphere and the highly corrosive
 creek.  It says that anyone else needs a full Toxic suit just to
 approach the creek and that the corrosive waters of the creek will eat
 through a tox suit in seconds!
     Also, on page 76 the description of the Hazmat Barrier power says
 "Hazardous materials are evolutionary stew to doomsayers. Unfortunately,
 toxic sludge, acid rain, and noxious fumes can prove deadly to those not
 favored by the glow."  It goes on to describe the power which can be
 used to protect the doomsayers party from such hazardous materials.  So
 once again this seems to imply that doomies have some special defense
 against toxic environments in general not just radiation. I would love
 to have an official PEG clarification, but I would be happy to hear from
 anybody who could help clarify the situation for me.  Thanks! >>

The reference on page 53 should be referring to the Hazmat Barrier miracle
rather than Tolerance. Tolerance only protects against radiationa nd would
give no protection against the acidic properties of the Sludge. Doomsayers
have no special resistance to toxic environments other than the Hazmat
Barrier miracle. Their power extends this far only due to the
mutation-causing properties of such substances.

John Hopler
Pinnacle