Re: [HoE] Silly Question?

Jim Burzelic wrote:

> >        This really doesnt effect the game world all
> > that much but was
> > curious if the Statue of Liberty would have been
> > given to the Union in
> > 1876 as it was historically. France was very much
> > allied with the
> > Confederacy and not the Union at that time.
> >         Like I said its not really important but was
> > wonderin' what you
> > all think? Perhaps Miss Liberty stands astride
> > Charleston Harbor as a
> > symbol of the Confederacy winning their
> > independance.
> > --
> > David Heth
> > "<BLAM BLAM BLAM> Hey Nazi!  That's American for "I
> > am over here!""
> >
> Well, I'm not sure how friendly the relations between
> France and the Confederacy are considering France's
> presence in Mexico at the time and Mexico's attitude
> toward the CSA. It seems to me they still would have
> given the Statue of Liberty to the USA for the reasons
> they did and also maybe as a bribe for alliance
> between the US and Mexico for a pincer styled attack
> on the CSA.

Unfortunately France was still firmly allied to the CSA at the time as
well as England until the Hampton Roads agreement in  1865. They didnt
get involved again until later but when they did it was on the side of
the CSA. The Mexican Emperor Maximillian himself had little hate or love
for the CSA although Santa Anna was certainly no friend.