Re: [HoE] Hand to Hand and Campaign Levels

In a message dated 05/05/2000 8:26:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
crow_steve@hotmail.com writes:

<< I kinda asked this yesterday, but do folks think that a Templar's
_primary_
 reliance on a sword is unreasonable?  This certainly seems to be a big part
 of their reputation, to judge from the published background material.  Sure,
 nobody thinks that if there's a raptor hovering 50' above them that Templars
 have to die gloriously rather than switch to a sword!  But one gets the
 impression that a sword is what Templars _primarily_ use with a gun as
 backup.  Not switch to a gun every time they run into a Lurker... >>
Steve, here's my input:
In my campaign, the standard AV runs around 2, although such things as
Lurkers (seen once in 2 years of play) have higher AV, they are an anomaly.
We do use the hit locations, so against the wormlings in Apocolypse Now, the
Temp was able to either do called shots to the weak point or hope to hit it
randomly (although against their fightin of 6 it was a tough HTH fight.  They
have yet to run into powered armor, and automatons are rare (although BH
aren't).  The fearmonger at the end of an adventure may be tougher, but
that's a single creature per adventure of several sessions.
I happen to agree with the PEG way of doing HTH vs armor.  Something with AV
4 and higher is like hacking at a small tree, birck house, etc.  Especially
at the higher levels, the material being attacked is as strong or stronger as
the sword in use.  Attacking a suit of power armor, light armored vehicle,
etc. with a sword, especially for a mega-brute PC (read high STR), most
likely results in a shattered sword.
Sure, the sword is the symbol of the Templars.  I think that they're smart
enough to realize that a sword vs a Lurker (made of metal as hard as the
sword) is a losing proposition.  Maybe in the Judgement Day module of High
Noon you'll see blocks of squires/men-at-arms with ranged weapons to deal
with such, but I think for now the smart Temp puts down her sword and whips
out the AT rocket!  :-)

Jay Kyle