[HoE] RE: [HOE] Dice odds

> There was a discussion on Pyramid (www.sjgames.com/pyramid/) about
> statisticts and probabilities for certain die systems. They were
> discussing whether or not the Storyteller system from White Wolf was
> really "simple", and the conversation was drifting towards the dice
> mechanics. In particular, they were discussing odd little quirks like
> the more dice you have, the more likely you are to botch (which is
> actually true if you have only 1 die in your dice pool and
> move up to 2 dice).

Actually, that anomaly holds true with any dice pool in Storyteller where
you have an even number of dice and gain one more (so it's now odd). It
doesn't happen in the example you mention since MORE THAN HALF of the dice
must be ones, so with 2 dice, they both have to be one's which is less
likely than one one on one die. However, 2 dice need 2 ones to botch, and
three dice need 2 ones to botch, so this means that there is actually more
chance of botching with three than two. The same holds true with 4/5 dice
and 6/7 dice and so on.

Brian "Sorry.. just had to throw my oar in" Leybourne.

.-->
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted
sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there.
Type in 'Find people who have sex with goats that are on fire' and the
computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Brian Leybourne
brian.leybourne@airnz.co.nz
bleybourne@hotmail.com
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.