Re: [HOE] SW vs. Convoy

>On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:18:28 PDT "Steve Crow" <crow_steve@hotmail.com>
>writes:
> > That's possible.  There's just a couple of problems, though...
> >
> > 1) If the Convoy cleared off I-90 through to Deadwood and beyond,
> > then the
> > "walk-only" requirement that Spirit Warriors applies to getting to
> > Deadwood
> > no longer applies.  Of course, any Marshal can make that decision on
> > their
> > own.  However, the question is why doesn't SW do that?
>
>The simple answer is that the Great Summoning stuff didn't exist in
>Deadlands history until Spirit Warriors was written.  Another point that

I'm sorry, but what does that _mean_ exactly?  Spirit Warriors wasn't
written in the Deadlands history, so the two seem unrelated.

>gets confusing is that the Ravenites supposedly sold weapons to the Old
>Wayers when War came through.  We probably have to overlook little points
>like this, and correct what we've seen in other books in our heads
>(though I know I'm gonna get yelled at for that answer)

Not by me.  I don't have a problem with changing little things, particularly
if they are referenced in narrative rather than "fact."  For instance, the
fact that Goose or whoever claims the Convoy visits Deadwood every year can
be dismissed as hyperbole.

By the same token, a verbal relating of the fact that some Ravenites sold
weapons to the "Old Wayers" is fine.

It's when SW takes a big chunk out of the northern trade routes (by making
the entire Sioux Nation non-tech) that problems start to arise.

> > 2) Passing through Deadwood still seems unlikely, given that no one
> > has ever
> > returned from there.  (Granted, though, Spirit Warrior then has some
> > braves
> > who _do_ come back and describe what they've seen!)
>
>Again, the idea of Deadwood seems to have changed from when Wasted West
>was written until now.

And that's the problem.  One of the reasons I buy Pinnacle's products is
because of the strong sense of continuity, a continuity which I (and
eveyrone else), the individual Marshals, can then choose to alter or ignore
as they wish.

One of the reasons that John Hopler has presumably worked on a lot of the
recent sourcebooks is because a single author brings a strong sense of
continuity to the projects (which it has quite successfully).

If Pinnacle now wishes to selectively toss out the bits of continuity (some
minor, some major) they themselves created, I'd like to know if this is a
trend they will continue.

> > 3) The issue isn't clearing off any other roads through the Sioux
> > Nation, or
> > secondary roads being taken.  It isn't that the Sioux have the roads
> > blocked
> > or barricaded or guard the major interstates - it's simply that tech
> > does
> > not work.  No vehicle will work _anywhere_ in Sioux Nation territory
> > except
> > along I-90 - and SW specifically says you can't take vehicles along
> > there.
> >
> > *****
> >
> > The best bet seems to be that the Convoy either detours heavily
> > through
> > Canada (although this goes unmentioned in Road Warriors), or that
> > they take
> > secondary roads at the very edges of Sioux Nation territory (very
> > northern
> > North Dakota to the north, somewhat southern Nebraska to the South).
>
>I would say that the Convoy goes north through Canada.  The fact that it
>wasn't noted in Road Warriors could be justified by saying that "Canada"

My only real concern here is that basically the Wasted West is presented as
having a kinda "Here There By Dragons" sorta border.  Unlike the Weird West,
you really don't get a feel for anything beyond the boundaries of the Wasted
West (except for a mention r two of warlords down in Mexico).

Presumably there's a reason why folks aren't migrating to Canada...
*chuckles ominously*

>doesn't exist any more, and the Convoy wouldn't likely care what
>government USED to exist on the roads they use.  Also, not every step of
>the convoy's path is mapped out, so Goose might've skipped the part about
>Canada.

It's true the path is not mapped out, but all of the areas it's covered are
mentioned.  You'd think that if the Convoy were visiting  communities in
certain regions like Saskatchean, Goose might mention it in the section
talking about...ummm, the areas they visit.

*shrug* But as I said, this is probably the best option.  It just seems odd
that John Hopler (who presumably wrote the relevant sections of both Road
Warriors and Spirit Warriors) worked at this level of disconnect between the
two.

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"