Re: [HOE] (HOE) Re: Losing Edges

> I have to agree.  I'd say that you have to state what exactly the Sidekick
> Edge is, sort of like "Belongin's: X".  F'rinstance, Batman would have
> Sidekick: Robin.  Captain America had Sidekick: Bucky.  One Robin left, and
> Batman had to search for a new Robin.  One didn't just drop out of the sky.
> Captain America lost Bucky, and he never got a new one.  It should be the
> same for Bama.  If the player wants to keep the Edge, then as long as you,
> the Marshal, weren't playing the Sidekick recklessly, the player should have
> to buy the Edge back. It's easy to lose an Edge, or at least the benfits of
> it.  After all, to follow the example stated before, if you're Two-Fisted
> and a Wendigo bites off your arm, you may still be Two-Fisted, but a stump
> ain't much good for Shootin', plus you're now a One-Armed Bandit.  If you
> later get a cyber limb, you have to buy off OAB.  You pays your money, you
> takes your chances.

I don't like this view. If you lose an edge you lose the points, if you
get an arm chopped off you don't get the points for OAB. If you get your
arm fixed you have to PAY TRIPLE the cost of OAB, even though you never
took the hinderance.

So you lose, lose, lose. The wasted west is tough enough without stacking
all this against you.
I think you should do one or the other:

1. If you buy an edge or hinderance then they are a part of you and if you
lose them you should either get/spend the points or get the edge/
hinderance back (you pick up another sidekick, EVENTUALLY, or that
cyberarm you gotr fails if you don't pay back the points in a TIMELY
fashion).

-or-

2. You get edges and hinderances when you start and you can't involutarily
pick up new ones. You may lose an arm, but you are not a one armed bandit
(i.e. if you get your arm replaced you don't have to buy off OAB, you
never picked the hinderance). Likewise if your sidekick dies you should
have kept a better eye on him/her/it and it's gone. There's nothing to
stop you from picking up a new one, IN CHARACTER, but it's not guaranteed
by any stretch of the imagination.
Obviously there would be a few SPECIFIC examples where this would not
apply, like buying off "kid" before you turn 16, but that's outlined in
the hinderance description so you knew what you were getting into.

 Theo McGuckin -
	"It's not worth it"