[HOE] A possible explanation for vechicular designs...

Well...  One of my players was making his first character for Hell On Earth,
which was, of course, a Road Warrior (Of course, for him, that is.  He LOVES
to Drive!  CAPITAL "D"!!!).

But, he had one remark.  "All these designs are for cars from the 70's!!!"
And, I had to admit, he was right.  You see, car designs have changed since
the old days of "Car Wars" and the like.  They've gone from boxes on wheels
to...  Well, for lack of a better description, OVALS!  Heck, even the
matriels used (PLASTIC, for goshes sake!!!  Not even STEEL!!!) would make
the cars of today a poor choice for vechicular combat.

So, thinking fast, I came up with an explanation...  And, basically, I want
you folks out there to see if it makes sense or not.

"Around the 2020's, chemical additives were created for fossil fuels,
allowing them to have a useful amount for MANY cneturies to follow.  Then,
in the 2030's, they came out with a new synthetic 'metal' that has the
strength of steel, but is only slightly heavier and more expensive than
plastic.  Now, with the world the way it is, most folks started calling for
the old, 'Safe' designs of the 'Rolling Boxes' that hold up better when you
ram something big and mean...  Which happen to be around quite a bit.  As
for crumple zones...  Seeing as you put on about a half-ton of armor plate,
they aren't a worry no longer."

He accepted this...  But I'd still like to get other opinions.  That way,
when someone tries to catch me in some little verbal boondogle, I'll have
something to fall back on.  (The less ammo my Posse has, the more I'll have
to shoot at them with!).