Re: [HOE] Landslide Question

--- Matt and Teresa Steflik <grifflik@stny.rr.com>
wrote:
> How would you
> calculate the
> pace/acceleration of the tumbling rocks?

Well, most avalanches, from what I know are pretty
fast. Some, like the ash and boulder fall from a
volcano can reach speeds in excess of 100 mph. SO the
pace and acceleration I would say are much higher than
someone on foot. I wouldn't worry too much about
specifics. If they have a horse or some sort of
vehicle I would give them some pretty tough rolls to
try and stay ahead of it with, in this situation
failures being as bad as busting and busting being
worse than that.

> How would
> you take their mass
> and acceleration into account in determining damage
> when they begin to
> pummel the posse members?

I would not get into heavy mathmatics but would
instead try and keep with the feel of the game. Deal
every posse member who gets caught in the avalanche a
seven card, stud poker hand. Tell them that they want
the WORST hand possible. Allow them to "BET" a fate
chip now. Betting a white chip allows them to discard
one card, a red nets them a two card discard, a blue
gets them three cards out of their hand, a legend
chip: four. Jokers can not be discarded. Getting a red
joker means that specific character manages to
completely avoid any damage from that card. Getting a
black joker means that the character has pretty much
suffered sooner than instant death (basically a
boulder the size of a car decided that on top of the
character seemed like the best place to land).
Otherwise, use the SUIT and VALUE of each card left in
each players hand to determine the dice rolled in
damage against a random hit location. Fate chips can
still be used to save their skins. Modify as you see
fit. Just an idea.

The twelve-ounce Dr. Pepper can of doom,
Tenebros

PS. I just joined the list, nice to be here!

=====