Re: [HOE] Borg Questions

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 07:32:25 -0500 Matt and Teresa Steflik
<grifflik@stny.rr.com> writes:
> The group has some borg questions - any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regarding Harrowed Powers:
>
> 1. While Relic is listed as a Harrowed Power, would it be considered
> one in terms of a Borg's power focus?

I seem to recall there being a bit of errata that says that Relic is the
one power you don't need a power focus for.  On one hand, this lets you
get off the hook power-wise, but it also means that you can't turn the
relic off when it gets stolen.

> 2. How do you handle Supernatural Traits?  Are they always "on" or
> do you deal with the micro-management of the power focus, spending
> drain, each time you want access to them?  If the later is the case,
how do
> you deal with stats that modify other elements such as skill points,
> wind, etc.?

You deal with the power focus.  Basically, this means that a cyborg with
a lot of Supernatural Traits and a Power Focus can min-max himself.

> Regarding Samson:
>
> 1. In the description, does slots = mounts?  Is this just a typo?

That's weird.  I never noticed that.  But Slots should mean mounts, like
the other descriptions.  It also says Mounts in the description of the
device/

> 2. What exactly are the consequence for not taking Samson in all
> locations?  Is balance effected?  Pace?  What happens exactly?

Anything that uses the powered-up limbs that doesn't use non-powered ones
works, otherwise you might get hurt.  I suspect you'll just have to
handle this on a case-by-case basis (I'd just make the cans get Samson in
thier whole body, for simplicity's sake).
Essentially, there's almost nothing you can do without your back, so not
having Samson in your torso is plain dumb.  Anything you use your muscles
for while standing probably uses your legs, too.  So it's fairly
pointless to get it in just your arms or something, unless you want to be
able to crack nuts with your fingers.
As for putting Samson in the head, I'm all for it, since I love to
headbutt things.  But remember that you can't headbutt without your legs
and back either.

> 3. If you HAVE to take it in all locations, why bother with seperate
> costs?

Because if you get shot in the arm, your Samson unit for that arm can
break without needing to get a whole body replacement.  That's the best
reason I can think of.

> 4.  If you take it in all locations, are you paying 2 drain or 10
> (or 12
> if you also have it in your head)?

2 Drain.  When it lists the mounts (or Slots) and cost, it lists it as
pre location, but it only gives one Drain number. Hence, you only pay
that Drain once.  Otherwise, it's rather pointless for the military to
equip all those cans with Samson, only to have it use up all their Drain.

> Regarding Drain:
>
> 1.  Drain for limbs makes sense, but why exactly do you require 1
> point of drain for a head and torso?  I can imagine some obvious
> explanations, but this isn't defined - what happens exactly if you
choose not to
> (or cannot) pay the drain?

Well, the head and torso move too, and they need to have those motors
powered.  If you don't pay it, you fall over.  Your torso can't support
your legs or arms.  If you don't pay for the head, it slumps forward,
your jaw goes slack, your eyeballs feel like pinballs, your tongue feels
like a fish, etc.

> 2.  Why exactly does armor (as in the type that is basically metal
> pieces strapped to your frame) require drain?  Again - what happens
> if you don't pay for it?

The suits that you mount on your hardpoints aren't just metal that you
strap on.  They're powered armor suits, and they have their won motors to
move all that weight around.  Otherwise, your can would just sit inside
and not be able to move.

--
From Whom It May Concern,
Rich Ranallo