[HOE] Helicopters and rotor noise

The distinctive noise of a Helicopter is mostly dependent upon the speed
with which the tip of the rotor is moving.  Faster=louder is a good rule of
thumb.  This noise can be controlled through a number of things:
- sound damping coatings on the blades
 - "twisting" the rotor the farther out it goes
- complex and VERY time consuming design of the airfoil cross section

All of these things will, however reduce the performance of the helicopter
in some way.

Also, the Russian made  Hind is louder than an apache, it also is faster in
the straight away, and does not hover well at all.  It has a pair of weapon
pod wings that it actually derives lift from.  Its engine is also less
isolated from the environment than the apache.

John

Sam & Max <samnmax@swbell.net>@gamerz.net on 01/22/2001 10:40:06 PM

Please respond to hoe@gamerz.net

Sent by:  owner-hoe@gamerz.net