[HOE] Strain-based junkers

Okay, my Marshal really hates the concept behind Junkers. Rather he likes
the whole making something from nothing aspect, but hates the whole tech
spirit, net thing. His opinion is "why does EVERYTHING have to involve
spirits? Even technology." Which I can kind of understand. But I really
like the idea of trying out a tech-mage (someday) so I was going to try to
come up with simpler rules that use a strain-based system instead of the
complex rules in JMC.
Basically I'm looking for help the flesh out these rules from the group.

Background Points:
1. This is meant as a REPLACEMENT for Junkers in my Marshal's world. So
it's okay to re-write a little history.
2. There are no tech spirits. This is the biggest point of contension with
the Marshal, so they're right out.
3. The rules should be simpler, but still maintain game-balance.

History:
Pretty much the same up until the bombs dropped. After that Junkers
learned how to refine Sitgreave's hexes into more stable powers. The same
way sykers learned to tap into the hunting grounds more safely than
hucksters. From there the Chamber can be made and all the rest. Junkers
are generally refered to as Techno-Mages, not Shamans, as they don't
interact with spirits.

Rules Changes:
Okay this is where the help comes in.
Browser Spirits become Knacks. Tricks can stay the same, the tech-mage is
just tapping into the hunting grounds for raw-energy instead of handy
spirit.

Powers:
You still start with a number of powers/tricks the same as before. At
their core all powers require one strain base, but each power has
exceptions of course.

I really want to find a way to simplify the whole frame thing for the
following reason:

Tech-mages create items "on the fly" rather then going through the process
of building a device they simply gather up components, and use their
syker-like abilities to form them into the desired item. The components
float up in the air (or slide around on the ground) and attach themselves
together with the tech-mage overseeing the process.
This takes at most minutes (never hours) but the draw back is that the
items don't last very long (the strain used to hold them together doesn't
last very long), on the order of a few hours. A device generally lasts an
hour per point of strain put into. More powers give more time, but that's
because the tech-mage has invested more of himself into it.

But the frame and component rules don't really lend themselves to "I want
to build a gun that does X,Y and Z real quick."
Any suggestions?

Other things:
Tech-mages can have pre-made shells for devices that allow them to use
single powers with a speed of 1, but at a cost of 1 pt. of strain. So a
tech-mage could have a staff (built with tinkerin') that can act as a
focus for the flash-gordon power. Then, if necessary, the tech-mage can
shoot an attack from the staff by spending strain and making a roll
(tinkerin'? science: occult engineering?)

It seems like the easiest conversion would be slots to strain, say on a
10-to-1 ratio (10 slots = 1 strain)?

I also liked the idea of being able to make more permanent gadgets, but
when doing this the tech-mage must permanently invest some amount of
strain into it that they can never recover (1 pt? 1/2 the total?). This is
a pretty big deal (and a pretty big sacrifice, there would be NO way to
get that strain back).

What about power? Extra strain could be invested to power a device (how
many G-rays/strain) or it could use normal spirit batteries and a G-ray
collector and all.

Other thoughts/trip-falls? I only started thinking about this last night
while watching Babylon 5: Crusade (corny acting, but neat effects and
ideas) so it's all pretty rough. Don't even know if I'd get it past my
marshal, but I love engaging in these mental excercises, and he's pretty
easy to convince to try new rules in the games...

Theo McGuckin - SysAdmin, JLab

	A lot of people set goals for themselves.
	Some even try to achieve them!