Re: [HOE] Why is Blastin' a Knowledge aptitude?

--- Theo McGuckin <tsm@jlab.org> wrote:
> > > Actually, finding a teacher is not as hard as
> you > make it sound.
> My point
> is that it's pretty hard for sykers to learn new
> powers outside their
> discipline already and I don't think that adding to
> that difficulty is
> necessarily a good thing.

Well, good.  Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.  As to
your "rest of the Posse" point, consider that they
might like the Jericho Academy as potential allies.
Perhaps you might take a *gasp* social Edge like
"Friends in High Places" to reflect that your Syko has
a relationship with the folks there.

> > One other thing I've considered doing is altering
> the beginning skills
> > of characters.  Instead of putting 1 point each in
> Climbing and Sneak,
> > I'd put them into Persuasion and Scrutinize (to
> reflect the fact that
> > most humans will spend much more of their time
> talking to other people
> > than climbing rocks or sneaking around).
>
> I think the starting skills come from the fact that
> most any kid learns to
> sneak past his parents (or worse these days) and go
> exploring. Which
> usually involves things like climbing trees (well,
> piles of rubble now). I
> could see maybe adding persuasion (as long as you do
> it for everyone
> there's no real balance issue) since most all kids
> learn how to get what
> they want, but scrutinizing someone seems like more
> of a learned skill. It
> goes beyond telling whether or not "daddy's mad" and
> into more subtle
> areas.

Spend a good portion of your life talking with other
folks (which almost everybody does) and you'll get at
least a beginner's idea of how to read other peoples'
desires and motivations.

> One of the websites has a "Pre-war Life" edge that
> basically gives you
> points in common skills "free" (well you get like 6
> points for a 3 point
> edge). I thought that was a good idea. I mean a
> savage who's lived on his
> own for 13 years isn't going to have persuasion or
> scrutinize.

Why not?  Savage humans group together socially.
Maybe some wierd kid who was raised by Devil Bats
wouldn't have those skills, but most other folks
should.

> Theo McGuckin - SysAdmin, JLab, Safety Warden (Bldg.
> 85)
>

> 	A lot of people set goals for themselves.
> 	Some even try to achieve them.

> with
> 	unsubscribe hoe@gamerz.net

=====
"I am Justice.  I am Fate.  I am what happens totinpot scum like yourselves when you begin to sufferfrom delusions of adequacy.  I am the Shithammer ofGod swinging down from Heaven to smash you back intothe wastelands that spawned you.  There comes a timewhen fear, greed and evil must be redressed.  The timeis now, the place is here and God help anyone who getsin my way." - Malachi Shepherd