Re: [HOE] Two weapons fighting

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Jeff Shoffner wrote:

> >> Okay, how about this.....[snip]
> So let's see if this agrees with everyone.  Person with a 4D10 STR using a
> sai catches an attacker's sword & gets a raise.  He then tries to break said
> sword, rolls 4D10, & gets a 3, 6, 1, & 10.  Rerolls 10, & gets 2.  His total
> for damage is 6 (10+2=12 divided by 2), which does not over come a typical
> sword's durability, so the sword doesn't break.  Now he manages (by
> marshal's house rules) to keep the sword captured & on the next action,
> tries to break again, rolls 5, 1, 1, & 10, rerolls the 10, gets 7.  17
> divided by 2 is 8 (rounded down), *snap!*

sounds good, although I still prefer liter rules personally - I'm really
interested to see how Savage Worlds does things, and may well try and
convert HOE/LC to it.

> Now, it sounds tough to break a person's sword this way.  I did this
> intentionally because, hey, it IS tough to break a sword this way!!  Maybe
> one of them katanas that have been folded a kabillion times is easy to break
> doing this, but try this stunt against an English longsword?

I seem to remember from somewhere that the european swords are actuallynot
all that sharp, and are mainly long bits of metal you hit people with, the
cutting was a by-product.  as a consqeuence of this, I think they were
quite brittle - so sai may work even better on that kind of untempered
weapon.  I also remember this wonderfull scene from a tv show, where this
roman legionaire was theatening this party, and the defender of the party
- some kind of ex-special-forces leionaire type, broke the guys sword that
he had rested the point on the table, using his hand - chop!  not sure how
realistic it is, but aparently it wasnt totally cinematic - that would
have been possible!  cant temember the name of the show/tv movie now
though...

--
 jconstable@pobox.com          http://www.kript.net/deadlands
a member of the "Legion of Rabid Fans(tm)"