Re: [HOE] Question about vehicles

Martin Woodard wrote:

> At 10:26 PM 10/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >underlings?  hmmph.  I leave my green books in the car, so unless someone
> >gives the "official" answer first, you shall have to settle tonight for what
> >I remember..
> >A vehicle doesn't use sizes and wounds to determine damage, but rather
> >another rating namef durability.  it's in some number like X/Y where X is
> >how much damage should be taken before Y drops by one.  once Y is down to
> >nothing, it's been destroyed.
> >Hell if i know, i'll make sure tonight.
>
> Here's how I understand durability, please correct any mistakes:
> Let's use the luxury car in the Road Warriors book as an example.  It has
> durability 40/8.  The first number is how much damage the vehicle can take
> before it's so much slag (see my previous message for damage rules, and
> don't forget the AV, especially the extra +1 for hits in the engine).  The
> second number determines how often a vehicle has to roll on the critical
> damage table.  Every time a durability loss results in the durability
> dropping below a multiple of the second number (i.e. in this case, when it
> hits 32, 24, 16, and 8), you must roll on the critical hit table.  Which
> table you roll on depends on where the hit landed that caused the total to
> drop to the next tier.  And yes, if something actually manages to deal more
> than 8 damage, you'll be making more than one critical hit roll.
>
> For example, say our luxury car has been taking a beating, and is down to
> 34 durability.  Bob Gunhappy fires his sidearm into the vehicle - a Colt
> .45 with AP 2 ammo - and wins the freakin' lottery on damage raises.  He
> rolls location; the hit lands in the body. His total damage, AFTER armor,
> is 33.  That's small arms fire, so divide it by 10: durability loss of
> 3.  So the total for the vehicle is now down to 31.  Uh, oh, we passed 32,
> the first critical hit value.  The shot hit the body, so roll 2d6 and read
> the results off the body critical table.  Good luck, brainer.
>
>   - Martin

Almost, but not quite. When you pass 32, you take a minus -1 to all actions
performed with that vehicle, kind of like a wound modifier. Now say you really
won the lottery on that damage roll and rolled 94. Divide by ten and you have 9,
which is more then it's durability step of 8, so Now you roll on the critical hit
table.

--Dirk