Re: [HOE] Another thought on multi-legged junker gizmos

--- Robert Holland <robert@macauley.com> wrote:
> There was a question a while back about junker
> devices with more than four legs.
> I believe someone had already suggested following
> the formula for adding extra
> wheels and extrapolating the slot cost from the slot
> cost for two and four legs,
> so each additional pair adds 30% of Frame slots,
> increases the Load Limit by 5%,
> and lowers top speed by 5%.

Just a nitpick: It would actually be 15% per
additional pair.

> That works fine if you're adding extra legs to
> increase load capacity, but most multi-legged
> creatures use the extra legs for
> stability and improved gripping, not carrying
> capacity. If I wanted to make,
> say, a spider-bot, I would just handwave it and say
> that you have twice as many
> legs but they're each half the size, so the total
> slot cost remains the same.
>
> --Robert Holland

Alright, but will every Marshal do that same
handwaving. The reason I asked the original question
was because I am trying to make "universal" junker
devices. I plan on laying out the needed info for each
device and then posting it, making it extremely easy
for wanna-be junkers to digest the information and get
to building it without the legwork of figuring out all
the crunchy bits. (I'm doing this because I find it
fun and the most common complaint I hear about Junkers
is all the math involved.)

Jim