Re: [HOE] Tale-Teller Arcane Background

I've posted about 5 or 6 made-up arcane backgrounds, and the replies you
will get will break down as such:

1."There's too many arcane backgrounds already in HOE!"
These are the guys who only allow the ABs in the main rulebook in their own
game and are unable to grasp the concept that magic in deadlands comes in
almost unlimited varieties and usage of magic is only limited by the
mage(for lack of better word)'s belief or perception of the hunting grounds.
You may safely ignore these.
2."It sounds okay, but it's already been done with (name of arcane
background)."
These posts will often refer you to some arcane background that someone
suggested years ago but never made, or one that they mysteriously can't
find.  Unless they can come up with hard evidence of this AB's existence, or
they refer to a real HOE AB, I wouldn't take it seriously.  If it does come
up similar to another AB, remind them of the congruencies between sykers and
martial artists.
3."It would never work because of (reason)."
This post is usually accompanied by a reason of why your AB would never work
in the deadlands universe.  Remember, though, that for every rule there is
an exception.  And, for every explanation there is another explanation.  The
rules and world of deadlands can change at will to suit a Marshal's need.
So, don't worry.
4."It's too simple/too complex."
ABs in HOE range wildly in complexity as much as the players themselves.
Simple ABs, like the templars, whose abilities are rated on a scale from 1-5
and have one sentance-descriptions, suit a hack-and-slash player who only
wants to roll a few dice to get the deed done, while more complex ones like
junkers are better fitting of players who enjoy spending hours designing and
tweaking their brilliant devices and would like nothing more than to
fine-tune their creations to make something with incredible depth and
ability.  Somewhere, someone will have a playing style attuned perfectly to
your AB.
5."I hate your AB.  (no reason given)"
Flame-bait.  Ignore.
6."This sounds great, but it could use some (name of improvement)."
These posts are actually my favorite, as criticism shows not only support
and interest in your work but also ways to improve upon it.  Don't take
offense to these posts.  Rather, embrace them and ask yourself if the
changes really would be for the better.  Remember, more important than
explanation or acceptance is balance;  if your AB is well-balanced then a
Marshall will be more likely to allow it in his game.
7."I love it!/I'll use this in my game!"
Praise is good.  I make sure to thank everyone who likes my work, but that
may largely be due to reflex.  Remember, if you solicit an opinion out of
someone, it's not as valid as an unsolicited one.  Think about it.  If
someone compliments you on your work without you asking for one, it shows
that they really mean the compliment.
8."Can I use this on my website?"
These are good too.  If you want to let them use it, make sure they credit
it to you, usually by means of giving your website or e-mail.  If you don't,
don't be an ass about it.  Tell them that they are free to refer people to
your webpage/this post on the listserv, but you'd rather not let another
person directly publish it.

Above all, no matter what anyone says, don't get dis couraged!  Regardless
of appearances, what people have asked for most often is material to add to
their game.  A new AB is always great to add to the mix!]

Joey "Wraith" Fanning