Re: [HOE] An idea and a few questions

Ash wrote:

>::big, eveil Marshall grin:: is it a city?? It got bombed. Seriously. Unless the city had a >population less than five thouseand or was protected like Denver and Junkyard, it got >bombed.
>
>James in Dayton
that's what i figured...i'm lookin for a good starting town/city...don't wanna start in Junkyard really...but i might do something on the outscirts...not sure...thanks James... :)

When I started my HOE campaign, I started it with the adventure that came with the Radiation Screen... I can't remember the name of the adventure, but the town in it is called Trinity Springs. The players have to rescue the town after the Black Hats have taken it over. They managed to do so, and were regarded as heroes by the townspeople. My players made that town their base of operations for the next 3 years(!) that I ran my campaign. They would travel all over, but would always head back "home" to Trinity Springs when they could. I eventually had to give names to almost every inhabitant of the town, due to how much time they spent there. Whenever Trinity Springs came under attack, the players really cared about the townspeople. They would get very upset if a member of the militia was wounded or killed, and put their characters lives on the line many times in order to protect them. I thought about trying to force the players to relocate by having the town attacked by some powerful enemy, something that the party would have to run from... but then I realized that the players *wouldn't* run, and their characters would all die trying to defend the town.

I realize that HOE is supposed to be tough and gritty, but I think my players really enjoyed seeing Trinity Springs prosper under their care. It gave them a sense of accomplishment, and gave their characters a sense of hope for the future of the HOE world. This may be a bit too sappy for your group though. But, regardless, the adventure is a good one if you want to start off with a small town instead of someplace big like junkyard.

--David