[pbmserv-dev] ratings

>>I think this has been said before.  I'm all for it.

yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if i was the one who said it too.

>>Of course, I can't program.

me neither, or i'd look into doing it myself (boy was that easy to say).

here's another one that i *know* i've brought up before - albeit in the main
bcast, not on the programmers bcast - but never gotten an answer on:

how difficult would it be to separate the chushogi and daishogi ratings?
currently daishogi is an option of chushogi so all the ratings blend
together.  and now that i think about it, there's also an option to play
chushogi with drops, so all three blend together (and i imagine you can play
dai with drops too then altho i've never tried it), it would definitely be
nice to have them separated.  but again, this is something that for all i
know can be easily done in 5 minutes or would take hours of work.

and while i'm on the subject, i more recently discovered the -long option on
chch, and again, it would be nice if the ratings were split for -long and
not long also.

on bughouse, which i guess we are still testing (was it publicly announced
yet?).  right now, if your partner wins, you lose, because the current setup
only allows for one winner per game.  this means we're getting ratings and
win/loss records that are meaningless, which is a little frustrating.
sharkey told us that this would *not* be easy to fix, but i'm wondering if
anybody feels like looking into it anyway.

i don't know how much people have discussed having an -unrated option for
all games, it's frustrating to build up a rating and then have it drop
because you play a multiplayer game where the outcome is somewhat random, it
would be nice if we could turn off ratings for multiplayer games.

and yes, i realize the server is really about playing games and having fun,
but ratings are fun too and a way to track your progress.

thanks,
ben