Hearts

'Twas 23:59 -0400 on Monday 4/23/2001 when pbmserv-users-owner@gamerz.net
wrote:
>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:15:56 -0400
>From: bob_lafleur@technologist.com
>Subject: RE: Broadcast from andidi via PBM Server
>
>Yes, I thought it might add flavor to the game if one could pull a "fast
>one". But, I guess in the PBeM environment, that isn't such a great thing to
>allow. So, the next version of Hearts will allow for legal moves only.

If you're going to allow legal moves only, then you need to know what is
legal.  Go to http://www.pogo.com to check out all their variations.  Here
are some legal move variations:

1)  First lead:  Either 2C or left of dealer.
2)  Call you drop points on first trick (generally if 2C leads you can't
paint the first trick, but if left of dealer leads you can, but this varies).
3)  Can you lead a heart before points have been played.
4)  Can you lead QS before hearts have been played.
5)  Can you lead a heart after the QS falls if no hearts have been played.
6)  If hearts haven't been played, and all you have is hearts and QS, can
you lead a heart or do you have to lead QS.

Those are just legal move differences.  There also are variations in
passing, and various scoring rules.  How much of this game do you want to
implement?

--
RB |\  Randall Bart
aa |/  Barticus@usa.net        1-818-985-3259       Barticus@att.net