Question from Newbie

I started as a newbie on this server for backgammon.

Got many games immediately.  But I had too many so I just did Resign for
one at start.

Now I see it has assigned me a ranking for the forfeited game.

OUCH!

How does one decline a challenge if you can not handle it at the moment?

I was slow in picking up recent games due to Hurricane Iris that hit us
here in Belize.  Missed our office fortunately.

Anyway I Would like to see about working my way up in standings over time
and would not want to make such an error again by simply "walking away"
from a game I did not have time to start.

Thanks in advance for the assist from those of you with experience.