Chess

'Twas 00:01 -0500 on Saturday 1/5/2002 when pbmserv-users-owner@gamerz.net
wrote:
>Speaking of which, I believe there have been recent amendments
>to the 50-move rule, which IS part of the rules. Computer analysis of certain
>endgame positions has revealed quite a few positions which require more than
>50 moves by both sides without a pawn push or capture, in order to force a
>win.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.  I think the rule until the 1980s was
that 25 moves without capture or pawn move was a draw.  The rule was
changed to a general 50 move rule, with some exceptions for situations
which takes longer.  There are certainly games which would have been draws
which now can be played to mate.  How often do these occur in
practice?   Just because computers have solved these doesn't mean that
players can memorize the technique.  If it takes 50 moves to force mate
using two knights, what are the chances of someone remembering the
technique well enough to do it?

--
RB |\  Randall Bart
aa |/  admin@RandallBart.com     1-818-985-3259      Barticus@att.net