RE: Dvonn ?

I'd like to do DVONN for the server, subject to Kris Burm's approval.
With regards to initial placement of pieces; obviously, it's important, but
it doubles the length of the game.

I'd suggest a few different start-up modes, which can be selected by a flag:

-random: all pieces are dropped randomly; second player chooses what colour
he wants to play
-quickstart: players choose locations of the red pieces; then follow 1.
-manual: no random moves at all (default)

One of the most important factors in phase I (in my not-so-humble opinion)
is control of the edges of the board, so the random fill would allocate the
outside spaces equally first, then move inwards.

Giving the second player choice of colour seems reasonable; choose the best
side, but give up the advantage of the first move, ...

TTFN,

Stephen Tavener
DigiText Programmer, BBC News, New Media.

Xtn: 64727
Room 3225, Television Centre, Wood Lane, London. W12 7RJ
mailto:Stephen.Tavener@bbc.co.uk (Work)