Re: Dvonn ?

> I'd like to do DVONN for the server, subject to Kris Burm's approval.

I don't know who wrote this...
David Glaude is working on a program to make DVONN playable on the server.

For me it is not important who writes it, the only thing that matters is
that it works well.

> With regards to initial placement of pieces; obviously, it's important,
but
> it doubles the length of the game.

Players must have the option to choose: play the first phase or skipp it.

> -random: all pieces are dropped randomly; second player chooses what
colour
> he wants to play
> -quickstart: players choose locations of the red pieces; then follow 1.
> -manual: no random moves at all (default)

I don't know whether the second option adds much. OK, by placing the DVONN
pieces you influence what kind of game it will be, but is it worth the
trouble? I would say: then place all the pieces.

If starting with a random possition, 4 things should be kept in mind:

- Always at least 1 DVONN piece on both halfs of the board.
- Both colors should occupy at least 45% of each half of the board.
- Both colors should occupy at least 45% of the spaces at the edge.
- A pieces may never have only pieces of its own color in adjacant spaces,
with a maximum of 4 for the centrally places pieces.

I think these criteria will always result in a more or less fair start
position.
I don't know enough about programming to know whether these criteria can be
applied...

> Giving the second player choice of colour seems reasonable; choose the
best
> side, but give up the advantage of the first move, ...

I agree.

> Never having actually played Dvonn but having perused the rules, is it
> possible that there are some fixed non-random (possibly somewhat
symmetric)
> starting positions which still yield an interesting second half of the
game?

That is possible, but no idea whether there's a need for that. Any way,
games played with such a fixed board cannot be taken into the calculations
of the ratings. Not that it matters; I just mention it. One can specialize
himself in a particular starting position, giving the opponent not a fair
chance.

Kris