Re: Virus Notification

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 07:12  PM, Vivek Mittal wrote:

> I agree with your comment about attachments.  A person has to execute
> an
> attachment for it to run.
>
> However, I disagree about embedded scripts in HTML.  Most people I
> know who use
> Outlook have it set up with a preview pane.  As soon as you click on
> the
> message, even if to just delete it, Outlook will run any
> VBScript/Javascript
> that might be embedded in the HTML message as it will render the
> message for the
> second it took you to select the message and then click delete.  The
> way around
> that is to either disable Javascript or not use the preview pane.

I prefer to follow a more general rule of thumb, which is not to use
any software made by Microsoft. I'm not saying this as a joke; I'm
serious. I've been following this rule for years and happily ignoring
all of the virus warnings and security breach alerts that show up in
the tech media every week or so, since they don't apply to any software
I'm running.

Get a Mac, or a Linux box. You'll be much happier in the long run.

--
				Karl J. von Laudermann
				karlvonl@rcn.com