Quoridor tournament update

75% of the games in round 1 of the Quoridor tournament are finished, including all the games from the b and c groups. So far, four players are known to be continuing to round 2: sharkey, whiterabit, lyman, and sirrus.

I've been considering the suggestion from some players that round 2 should have not one game between each pair of matched players, but two games. This would allow each contestant to play both first-move and second-move against each of his opponents, and would greatly reduce the chance of ties. This would be a departure from the original plan, but if no one would object to it I'd like to do round 2 that way. We still don't know for sure how many players will go on to round 2: it could be as few as 6, forming one big round, or as many as 10, which I think should be two rounds of 5 players each.

Some players are moving less quickly than others, but I don't intend to call time (within reason) as long as their opponents are content. As Craig Schensted has said, we should all want to play "beautiful" games. I would estimate that round 2 could begin sometime in early March.

Play on!

Mark Thompson
userid markthomps