Broadcast from dshort via PBM Server

I am repeating a couple of my most recent broadcasts below.
I still have one opening left in my Amoeba tournament,
and I have 5 openings left in my chess knockout tournament.
As of this writing I have the following players signed up
for these tournaments, so if your userid is on this list
you do not need to contact me again. If you did previously
sign up and your userid is not on this list you may need to
contact me again as I may not have received your email.
Players wishing to play in one of these events please email
me at pbm4dc@hotmail.com and please be sure to indicate which
event you wish to play in.

AMOEBA: dshort, asdf, roji, jova1, eholzman, jeroen

chess knockout: dshort, camb, kthorn, u-sha, balu, robrecht,
                hrogers, tatu, chyn, eholzman, jova1

>I am looking to start up an Amoeba tournament. The structure of
>this tournament is going to be very simple. I am looking to create
>a single-round-robin 7-man section, where each player will play
>one game against each of the other six players in their section.
>A total of six games will be played, three with the white pieces
>and three with the black pieces. Players will be ranked according
>to their current Amoeba ratings at the start of the tournament,
>where the highest rated players get white against the other high
>ranked players in the section and black against the lower ranked
>players. Unrated players will be seeded after rated players.
>The standard 9 by 8 boards will be used, and the only special
>option which will be enforced is the "-promote" option, where pawns
>only promote in the last rank of the board.
>
>Since I myself intend to play in this section, there are only
>six other spots currently open. If you wish to play in this event
>please email me at pbm4dc@hotmail.com with your PBM userid.
>Hurry, first come, first serve.
>
>Also please note that a total time of 180 days per player
>per game will be enforced.

I am announcing that very soon I will be beginning a very unique
and different kind of chess tournament on Richard's PBM server,
to be conducted in a style different from the way I have handled
previous tournaments which I have organized and ran on this server.

This is going to be a "knockout tournament" which means that it
is a single elimination event. The tournament is open to the
first 16 players who sign up for the event. If you wish to sign
up for this tournament please email me your PBM userid to me at
pbm4dc@hotmail.com   It does not matter whether you have a chess
rating on this server or not, unrated players are welcome to play
in this event along with rated players. Even players who are currently
competing in the 5-man single round robin event that I am running
right now may join this tournament, as it is being conducted
completely seperate from that event.

Here is how it works. Once I have received a complete field of
16 entries I will rank the players 1 through 16, ranking
established players over provisionally rated players, and ranking
unrated players at the bottom in alphabetical order. The
pairings for round one are: 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, 3 vs. 14,
4 vs. 13, 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9
IN EVERY GAME THE HIGHER RANKED PLAYER IS GIVEN THE WHITE PIECES.
The reason for this is because Black has draw odds.
If the game ends in a draw, it is the player with the black
pieces who will advance in the tournament and the player with
the white pieces is knocked out. After the end of the first
round we reseed the players 1 to 8 and the pairings are:
1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5
Again the higher ranked players get white and black has draw odds.
For the third round after we once again reseed the pairings
are 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 and again black has draw odds.
Once we get down to the last two players, again the higher
ranked player will get white, but if the game is drawn,
instead of automatically declaring black the winner of the
tournament, the players will play a second game against each
other and switch colors. If both games end in a draw then the
two players will be named co-winners of the tournament.

Additionally, you should be aware of the fact that all games in
this tournament will be run at the very fast time controls of
90 days per player to complete all moves. I would request that
players take no more than 30 days vacation time during the
duration of this entire tournament. I wish to keep it running
at a smooth pace. This way each round can take no longer
than 6 months. It is possible that this tournament may take up
to two years to complete. Let's hope it does not take that long.
All games will be rated and affect your PBM chess rating.
The granting of undo moves is completely up to the discretion
of the players.

Good luck to all players who enter this event. An email will
be carbon copied to all players before each round to announce
the pairings. Remember to send entries to me at pbm4dc@hotmail.com