Broadcast from dshort via PBM Server

Well I guess it's that time again! Time for dshort to run
another BACKGAMMON tournament on RICHARD'S PLAY BY EMAIL SERVER!!

|                       |   |                       |
|13  14  15  16  17  18 |   |19  20  21  22  23  24 |
| O               X     |   | X                   O |
| O               X     |   | X                   O |
| O               X     |   | X                     |
| O                     |   | X                     |
| O                     |   | X                     |
|                       |BAR|                       |HOME
| X                     |   | O                     |
| X                     |   | O                     |
| X               O     |   | O                     |
| X               O     |   | O                   X |
| X               O     |   | O                   X |
|12  11  10   9   8   7 |   | 6   5   4   3   2   1 |
|_______________________|___|_______________________|

Here is how this tournament is going to work. Due to the
increasing popularity of backgammon on this server and the
overwhelming response I have gotten from previous backgammon
tournaments I have run, I have decided to expand the field for
this event to 48 players. It will still be a single elimination
event. Here is how I am going to do it. Once I have a full
field of 48 players I shall rank them from 1 to 48,
putting established players at the top followed by provisionally
rated players after them and unrated players at the bottom of
the field. There is going to be a preliminary round before
the first full round begins. The top 16 players in the tournament
will not have to compete in the preliminary round. They will
receive automatic byes into the first round.

The pairings for the preliminary round shall be:

17 vs. 48
18 vs. 47
19 vs. 46
20 vs. 45
21 vs. 44
22 vs. 43
23 vs. 42
24 vs. 41
25 vs. 40
26 vs. 39
27 vs. 38
28 vs. 37
29 vs. 36
30 vs. 35
31 vs. 34
32 vs. 33

After the preliminary round is over, the 16 players who have
survived this round shall be re-seeded 17 to 32. (The highest
surviving seed is 17, the next highest surviving seed is 18,
the next highest surviving seed after that is 19, etc.)
and then the regular first round will begin. Pairings for the
first round shall be:

1 vs. 32
2 vs. 31
3 vs. 30
4 vs. 29
5 vs. 28
6 vs. 27
7 vs. 26
8 vs. 25
9 vs. 24
10 vs. 23
11 vs. 22
12 vs. 21
13 vs. 20
14 vs. 19
15 vs. 18
16 vs. 17

After the first round we shall reseed all players 1 to 16
in the same manner as described above. The second round pairings
shall be:

1 vs. 16
2 vs. 15
3 vs. 14
4 vs. 13
5 vs. 12
6 vs. 11
7 vs. 10
8 vs. 9

After the second round we shall reseed all players 1 to 8
in the same manner as described above. The third round pairings
shall be:

1 vs. 8
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

After the third round we shall reseed all players 1 to 4
in the same manner as described above. The fourth round pairings
shall be:

1 vs. 4
2 vs. 3

Fourth round winners shall play each other a match of
"best two out of three games" to determine the winner of
the tournament. The fourth round losers shall play each other
one consolation game for third place.

Ok here is the news that some of you are not going to like.
In previous tournaments that I have run in backgammon there
are always some notoriously slow players. A total time limit
of 75 days per game will be used for all games in the tournament.
Total time limits are often used in chess games and will be used
for this event as well. Your clock begins ticking the moment
the server receives your opponent's move. It does not matter
if you do not check your email frequently. As soon as you are
put on move your clock begins to run. Once you send in a move,
your clock stops running and your opponent's clock begins to run.
It is not possible for both players to default on time. Only
one player or the other can be the first player to default on time.
The first player to exceed the total time limit of 75 days
before the game is completed automatically loses the game,
regardless of which side was closer to bearing off first.
I know that some backgammon games may take more than 75 moves
to complete. This puts players who are busy and can usually
make no more than one move per day at a disadvantage, and
puts players who sometimes take more than one day on a single
move at a serious disadvantage. All I can say is that players
should try to play as quickly as possible, and send off several
moves per day if possible. If you are dissuaded by the time
controls then do not enter the tournament. I would rather
discourage slow players from entering altogether.

As far as vacation time is concerned, players may take up to
21 days vacation time PER ROUND. Your clock will NOT run
while you are on vacation even if you are on move. If you
expect to be away longer than three weeks at a time your
clock will begin to run again once you have come off your
allotted vacation time. To request vacation time please
notify me (dshort) and your opponent at least several days
in advance, (see my email below) and don't forget to also
contact Richard Rognlie to ask him to place you on the
vacation list, he can be contacted at rrognlie@gamerz.net

Players who wish to enter the backgammon tournament should
email me with their PBM userid at     pbm4dc@hotmail.com

IMPORTANT! Please do NOT message me through the server
asking to be signed up!! Please email me directly! I need
an email address to contact you and when players message me
through the server it does not show their email address.
Also if for any reason you wish me to contact you for
future communication at an email address which is different
from the one you are using to sign up please let me know!
I am going to carbon copy an email to all players
before each round to announce the seedings and pairings.

UNDO moves: The undo function for backgammon games are
not flawless. Usually when an undo is granted an the board
restored and a player put back on move, the server will
roll out a different die combination than what appeared initially.
Players are discouraged from granting undo requests in this
tournament.

Please note that not all PBM players regularly get all
broadcast announcements. Please feel free to copy and
paste and/or forward this announcement to all of your
backgammon, nackgammon, deadgammon, moultezim, hypergammon,
and plakoto opponents!

Also note that I will try to send out a brief reply to all
players to acknowledge receipt of their entry. If you do
not hear from me within a week of signing up please resend
your signup request to me. Also note that it may take a while
for the tournament to fill up completely. I may have to make
periodic followup broadcasts to get the word out about this
event. That is why I encourage all backgammon enthusiasts
to please spread the word to all of their backgammon and
backgammon variant opponents, and also to ask them to encourage
their opponents to tell all of THEIR backgammon and backgammon
variant opponents about the event, until eventually almost
all backgammon players have heard about this event.