[pbmserv] Broadcast from dshort via PBM Server

I still have several spots left open in my chess tournament and scramble
tournament.
Who wants to join these events? Email your userid to me at
pepper889@hotmail.com
and be sure to let me know which event you wish to be in (you may enter both
if you like!)

Here is some more information about these events:

CHESS TOURNAMENT: Open to a total of 25 players who will be divided into
five 5-man
sections. Each player plays a total of 4 games, one game against each of the
other four
players in their section, two games with the white pieces and two games with
the white
pieces. At the start of the tournament, players will be ranked 1 to 25, with
players with
established ratings ranked higher than provisionally rated players, and
unrated players ranked
at the bottom of the group. Players will then be slotted into sections in
sequential order.
That is to say, section # 1 will contain players 1,6,11,16, and 21. Section
# 2 will contain
players 2,7,12,17, and 22. Section # 3 will contain players 3,8,13,18, and
23. Section # 4
will contain players 4,9,14,19, and 24. Section # 5 will contain players
5,10,15,20, and 25.
In this way all players will be evenly distributed. Section winners advance
to a 5-man finals
section run the same way as the first round. Time control for all games is
180 days to
complete all moves. So far I have only received about 15 entries. Due to the
lack of
response, I may choose to cut off the tournament at 20 players. In this case
there would
only be four 5-man sections, and the 4 section winners and one "wild-card"
would advance
to the finals. A "wild-card" is the player with the best won-lost-drawn
record who did not
win their own section. It is possible that one section may result in 2 or
more players tying for
first place. In that case all tied players would advance to the finals, thus
eliminating the need
for a wild-card entry. In any event, all players who tie for a playoff spot
which cannot be broken
by head to head result will advance to the finals, even if it means a larger
finals section must be
created.

SCRAMBLE TOURNAMENT: Open to 32 players, single elimination event. Players
will be
ranked 1 to 32 at the start of the event, with established players ranked
higher than
provisionally rated players, and unrated players ranked at the bottom of the
group. First
round pairings are 1 vs 32, 2 vs 31, 3 vs 30, 4 vs 29, 5 vs 28, etc
After each round we reseed the players top to bottom, second round pairings
are
1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, etc
When we reach the final two players, they will play a best two out of three
games match
to determine the winner of the tournament. Semifinal round losers play one
game for third place.
No formal time control will be enforced, but I encourage all players to play
as quickly as possible.
When we get down to the last one or two games per round which are waiting to
finish,
if I feel that the games are progressing at an unusually slow pace and one
or both players
ignore my requests to speed up the tempo I will reserve the right to advance
whoever is
leading at the time, if there are less than 20 tiles remaining and one
player leads the other by
50 points or more.