[pbmserv] Broadcast from christian via PBM Server

the crawford rule is hereby in effect in dshort's 3 point bg tournament

greetings
christian

--

http://www.christianschou.dk/bg/crawford.htm

The Crawford Rule

"When a player comes to within one point of victory, the next game is played without a doubling cube. Further games after that revert to normal."

This rule is used in almost all backgammon matches everywhere.

http://www.google.com/search?q=crawford+rule&hl=da&lr=

strategy: When you survive a crawford game, remember to double sometime in the next game.
reasoning:

Your opponent only needs one point to win the match - and you need more than that:

  • so he's not going to double to force an early settlement - and posssibly offer you a chance of doubling your points
  • on the other hand, he doesn't care if he wins 2 points rather than one, so why should he turn down your double at an early stage in the game, where you are both equal? ...you're going to double the next game anyway and the next, until you've won the match
  • and if you unnecessarrily accept to play for one point, you'll have to play several games to reach your final goal, thus maximizing your opponent's chances for victory ...baaaaaad choice