[pbmserv] Broadcast from kiwibill via PBM Server

######
 WARI
######

Hi all; this is a broadcast only to Wari fans, serverfolk and implementers.

I have a query about the rules and server implementation of Wari.

In the rules, the only restriction on moving is that when the opponent has
no stones in his board, you must move so as to give him some, if possible.

But, the rules imply that one can hit him with a "grand slam" and win
all the remaining stones thus...

-  -  -  -  1  -      him
-  -  1  -  2 17      you

...moving your f pile, capturing 13 stones instantly, and winning the
remainder on account of him having no move left.

Now; in the book on Wari that I read long ago, and according to the few
games I've played elsewhere, that would be an ILLEGAL move.  Basically,
any move that leaves the opponent with no stones to use, on his side
of the board, is illegal; unless one has no other moves than these.

I don't think this is much more difficult to implement, is it?

Does anyone else have any definite info on the "formal" rules.

In any event, the rule as I have given it, makes for a more interesting
and skillful game, IMHO.  Though a big kill is still a heavy blow,
it is not an immediate win, as almost always at present.

-  -  -  -  -  -
-  -  2  -  3 16

Playing the f pile now gives a capture of 10 stones, but leaves him some
to play with in his f pile, and the game continues awhile.

It is still possible to land a killer blow grand slam, but requires
a more intricate and careful build up, (as one may imagine), rather than
just piling up to 17 on your f pile.   e.g....

1  -  3  2  1 17

...here playing  a c d e or f  all give a wipe-out, so south would win all.
If he can manouvre himself into a position like this, he deserves it!

So in conclusion; may I suggest that the server adopts (what I believe is)
the "proper" restriction rule, as outlined above, and thus improve the game
and the server.

Thanks for listening!

kiwibill