Re: [pbmserv] Five in a row.... with a twist

aha, you meant this, hartwell... :)

well, I don't think the board can change that much,
there are only 4 pieces that turn, probably
4x4x4x4 = 256 positions

First move can be 9 different if I understood it right
(not counting same symmetry),
second move a lot more though....

rolle

----- below is from hartwell ------

36 moves
first move:
(empty board) 36 holes left, 2 ways to turn the quadrant.(clockwise or
anti-clockwise)

secong move:
35 holes left, 2 ways to turn the quadrant.

so if the game goes 36 moves you've got 36! * 2^36
36! is a big number 3.72 * 10^41
2^36 = 68,719,476,736

multiplied together, that's 2.56 * 10^52  if you could do a billion
(10^9) positions a second, then it would only take you
810048507056489158666383530485910000 years to go through all the
positions.  You'll want to move that computer off-world because the sun
will go nova before we're done.

BUT, the game can be won on the 10th move IF everything goes perfectly.
(and we're looking for a perfect game)  perhaps we only need to look out
to 20 or 25 or 30 moves.

so only looking at N moves gives you Y possible boards:
N       Y
10     3.7 billion
15     4.28 * 10^16
20     2.55 * 10^24
25     5.20 * 10^32 probably the limit of "do-able" by brute force
although it's still 1.65 * 10^16 years to look at a billion per second)

30     2.85 * 10^41
35     3.55 * 10^50
36     2.56 * 10^52

enough maths

the thing that made connect 4 so easy to solve was that ther's only 6
moves.  (5 moves? i dunno)  you drop the checkers in from the top

also, along the way, some symetries will develop, 10 different moves
leave you at the same position.

Roland Johansson wrote:

well the rules are easy

start with an empty board and then you add a marble
and then turn anyone of the quadrants 90° in any direction

it's probably rather easy, there are only 36 moves to do,
shouldn't be that hard to solve although the changing board
might complicate it...

they ask for 350 SEK for it in one of the shops,
that's close to $40, they can keep dreaming...  :)

Rolle

----- Original Message ----- From: "David J Bush" <twixt@cstone.net> To: <pbmserv-users@gamerz.net> Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 3:57 PM Subject: Re: [pbmserv] Five in a row.... with a twist

| A Swedish publisher is just launching a new game called Pentago
| (http://www.pentago.se/) the page is still only in Swedish. The
game is
| a simple five in a row but with a little diffrent concept as the board
| moves...
|
| Now to why I am actually writing all this is to see if anybody can see
| if this game have the same disadvantage as a standard game of five
in a
| row? In five in a row the first player has quite an advantage compared
| to the second player. It is evem proven that with a perfect game the
| first player can always win but what do you think about this version?

Like you said, only in Swedish. When I click on the English flag I get
"under construction." So how can I answer your question? I don't know
what the opening protocol is. I see the java moving board display, but
that leaves lots of unanswered questions. Even with the rotating
quadrants, it looks like such a simple game compared to Gomoku or
Renju, that a computer program could probably completely solve it.
So, perhaps game balance is not the main issue; it doesn't seem very
interesting in the first place.

David Bush (chmeee)