[pbmserv] constraint based games

Hi:

I love constraint based games... Clue, MasterMind, BlackBox

One thing that I'm working on, is creating an algorithm that can compute the number of remaining possibilities, based on the guesses and results so far in a MasterMind game. I don't have it right yet, because after two or three guesses I always end up with zero remaining possibilities. Clearly wrong. Does anybody have some general ideas?

Does anybody have any mathematical experience with studying such constraint type games? Any cool references or research?

Ann.