Re: [pbmserv] Orbit scoring rules?

>    (Also, I didn't realize at first that

>    ...x...
>    .xx.x..
>    x....x.
>    ....x..
>
> didn't count as a half-orbit --- it doesn't touch
> the same side of the board, but two different sides.
> This might want clarification in the rules, too.)
>
> -Arthur

The structure you've drawn is what is known as a "quarter-orbit."  There are
some variants of Orbit in which quarter-orbits do play a role, but the
standard game is not among them.

One variant involving quarter-orbits, called "quarter-prohibition Orbit," is
described in detail on my website at
http://home.fuse.net/swmeyers/quarter.htm.  The essential rules of this
variant can be summed up as "quarter-orbits prohibit, half-orbits capture
and prohibit, orbits capture and prohibit."  It is faster and more tactical
than the standard game.

Steve