Re: [pbmserv] Tournaments?

Richard Rognlie has a series of scripts he can run to
set up a series of games simulataneously.  Usually
this is done by having a number of pools as even as
possible.

The tournament director is some poor slob who
volunteers to adjudicate, and sets up the ground
rules.  I have found through experience that it helps
to have thought out beforehand exactly what the
criteria are for advancing, what to do about forfeits,
etc.  Generally tournament games are started with more
stringent forfeit limits than ordinary games.  The
server allows almost any combination and I have
frequently used no per-move limit but a 30 day total
limit.

So after you advertise for slots, and publicize the
rules, let Richard know who is in what pools and what
the time limits are.  Be prepared to deal with
vacation times, etc.

I have sometimes participated in the tournemants I
have organized but more usually I have stayed away to
maintain neutrality!

Good luck,

Lyman