[pbmserv] Unlur PBEM Tournament Pre-Announcement

In a couple of weeks the second Unlur tournament will be starting.  Before I finalize details I wanted to get all interested parties to help discuss the ground rules.  I will suggest the general framework as a starting point but everything is subject to what will caiuse the most participation!

 1) The entries will be divided into pools of 4-5 people seeded by rank (i.e., mixed as throughly as possible).  In each round everyone will play everyone else.  Since Unlur is by its design symmetrical, I would suggest one game per opponent rather than two (negotiable point).

 2) At the conclusion of each round or when enough results are in to be unambiguous, the top two finishers will advance to the next round again in groups of 4-5 (in the extreme case a group of 7).  In case there are ties for first or second, all tied players will advance from that pool.  This process will continue until there is a single pool of less than eight people.

 3) If the record after the last round is tied, the tie will be broken by the W-L record (considered as a ratio in case pools in the previous round were of different sizes) of the last two rounds combined.  In case that doesn't resolve the tie, we go to three rounds, etc.  If there is still a tie then, we have co-champions, deal with it :-).

 4) My tentative suggestion is to have round one played with the smaller 6 unit board to encourage more participation, and have subsequent rounds played on a board with 8 on a side which the the tournament "standard".

 5) Generally I have usually organized tournaments so that each player has a total of 30 days with no per-move limit.  Also negotiable.

 Drop me a line (userid: lyman) if you are interested in participating and if you have any suggestions for modifications.

 Cheers,

 Lyman