[pbmserv] New game: Pyloff

Fellow gamers,

A new game Pyloff has been added to the server. This is a 3D Go variant similar to the recent game Pylon, but has simpler rules and is more like Go-like in nature.

I think Pyloff is easier to understand and more interesting than Pylon, and has more tactical potential. Please challenge me to help test it out:

  pyloff challenge <yourname> camb
             and/or
  pyloff challenge camb <yourname>

The help file is appended below, and can also be found here: http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/pyloff.html

Cameron

Help for the Game of Pyloff

Introduction

   Welcome to the network Pyloff server. The challenge command is
   described here. Other commands are the same as for all pbmserv games.

pyloff challenge [-size=number] userid1 userid2 [.. userid4]

starts a new game for between two and four players.

The -size parameter sets the size of the board (default is 6).

Introduction

   Pyloff is similar to Go, except that it's played with marbles which
   may stack up to form piles. A special capture rule is used to resolve
   potential problems with retrieving buried pieces after capture;
   captured pieces with any piece(s) resting directly upon them are not
   removed but remain alive in the game.

Rules

   Players take turns placing a piece (marble) of their colour at any
   valid empty point. A point is valid if it is: 1) a board point, or 2)
   supported flatly by four existing pieces.

   Connection: Two pieces of the same colour are connected if they are
   squarely adjacent to each other, or one rests directly upon the other.
   A group is a visibly connected set of pieces which may visit multiple
   levels.

   Freedom: A piece has freedom if it is adjacent to at least one valid
   empty point on the same level. A group has freedom if at least one of
   its member pieces has freedom.

   Surround capture: After playing a piece, all enemy groups without
   freedom are captured and removed from the board, with the following
   exception: captured pieces that directly support one or more
   higher-level pieces are not removed, but remain alive in the game.

   No suicide rule: It is not permitted to place a piece without freedom,
   unless that move captures neighbours to create its own freedom.

   Ko rule: It is not permitted to repeat a previous board position (this
   has not been implemented so is up to the players' discretion).

   Over/under rule: A connection passing over an enemy connection cuts
   it. Buried pieces (those with a piece directly above them) do not
   count in any connections; groups must be visibly connected.

   Players may not voluntarily pass, but are forced to pass if there is
   no legal move.

   The game ends when neither player can make any further move. The
   player with the most pieces in play wins.

   Multiplayer: Multiplayer Pyloff is played using exactly the same rules
   as the two-player version.

Examples

An X piece at 'a' captures the O group, which has no remaining freedoms.

   |    .       .       .       .       |    .       .       .       .
   |                                    |
   |          _____                     |  _____   _____
   |         /     \                    | /     \ /     \
   |    a   |  x x  |   .       .       ||  x x  |  x x  |   .       .
   |        |  x x  |                   ||  x x  |  x x  |
   |  _____  \_____/  _____             | \_____/ \_____/  _____
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            |                 /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |   .       |    .       .   |  x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           |                |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            |                 \_____/
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            |                 /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |   .       |    .       .   |  x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           |                |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            |                 \_____/
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            |                 /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |   .       |    .       .   |  x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           |                |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            |                 \_____/
   +-----------------------------       +-----------------------------

   An X piece at 'b' does not capture the O group, as it still has two
   freedoms (marked '*') after the move.

   |    .       .       .       .       |    .       .       .       .
   |                                    |
   |          _____                     |  _____   _____
   |         /     \                    | /     \ /     \
   |    b   |  x x  |   .       .       ||  x x  |  x x  |   .       .
   |        |  x x  |                   ||  x x  |  x x  |
   |  _____  \_____/  _____             | \_____/ \_____/  _____
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            | /     \ /     \ /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |   .       ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            | \_____/ \_____/*\_____/
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            | /     \ /     \ /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o__|__x x  |   .       ||  o o  |  o o__|__x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o /     \ x  |           ||  o o  |  o /     \ x  |
   | \_____/ \__|  o o  |__/            | \_____/*\__|  o o  |__/
   | /     \ /  |  o o  |  \            | /     \ /  |  o o  |  \
   ||  o o  |  o \_____/ x  |   .       ||  o o  |  o \_____/ x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/
   +-----------------------------       +-----------------------------

   An X piece at 'c' captures the O group. Note that the pieces which
   support higher-level pieces are not removed.

   |    .       .       .       .       |    .       .       .       .
   |                                    |
   |          _____                     |  _____   _____
   |         /     \                    | /     \ /     \
   |    c   |  x x  |   .       .       ||  x x  |  x x  |   .       .
   |        |  x x  |                   ||  x x  |  x x  |
   |  _____  \_____/  _____             | \_____/ \_____/  _____
   | /     \ /     \ /     \            |         /     \ /     \
   ||  o o  |  o o__|__x x  |   .       |    .   |  o o__|__x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o /     \ x  |           |        |  o /     \ x  |
   | \_____/ \__|  x x  |__/            |  _____  \__|  x x  |__/
   | /     \ /  |  x x  |  \            | /     \ /  |  x x  |  \
   ||  o o__|__o \_____/ x  |   .       ||  o o__|__o \_____/ x  |   .
   ||  o /     \ /     \ x  |           ||  o /     \ o  |  x x  |
   | \__|  x x  |  o o  |__/            | \__|  x x  |__/ \_____/
   | /  |  x x  |  o o  |  \            | /  |  x x  |  \ /     \
   ||  o \_____/ \_____/ x  |   .       ||  o \_____/ o  |  x x  |   .
   ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |           ||  o o  |  o o  |  x x  |
   | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/            | \_____/ \_____/ \_____/
   +-----------------------------       +-----------------------------

   The O overpass cuts the following two X pieces (over/under rule).
         _____   _____
        /     \ /     \
   .   |  o o__|__o o  |   .
       |  o /     \ o  |
        \__|  o o  |__/
        /  |  o o  |  \
   .   |  x \_____/ x  |   .
       |  x /     \ x  |
        \__|  o o  |__/
        /  |  o o  |  \
   .   |  o \_____/ o  |   .
       |  o o  |  o o  |
        \_____/ \_____/

. . . .

Notes

   Higher level plays are strong, as the lower-level pieces that support
   them remain fixed and cannot be removed from the board (unless the
   higher level pieces are themselves captured and removed).

   It's relatively easy to make groups safe with multiple eyes on
   different levels. However, the fact that players cannot pass means
   that they may eventually be forced to fill in their own eyes and
   render groups unsafe.

   Some eyes that initially appear safe may become unsafe as pieces build
   up around them offering opportunites to attack.

   Adjacent friendly pieces on the outermost row or column of any level
   cannot be cut, as it's not possible to bury them or separate them with
   an overpass. Edge moves can therefore be quite strong (especially if
   they support higher-level pieces) despite the fact that the edge
   removes a potential freedom. Edge play becomes increasingly
   predominant as the levels build up and the ratio of edge points to
   interior points increases.

   Removing buried pieces from connection calculations means that players
   do not have to remember the colour of hidden pieces, except when it
   comes to counting the score at the end of the game.

   The board, when fully stacked, forms a pyramidal or cannonball
   stacking. The maximum number of pieces that may be played on a board
   of size n is given by the pyramidal number Pn = n (n + 1) (2n + 1) /
   6.

   Board size     Max pieces
       3x3             14
       4x4             30
       5x5             55
       6x6             91
       7x7            140
       8x8            204
       9x9            285
      10x10           385
      11x11           506
      12x12           650
      13x13           819
       ...            ...
      19x19         2,470

   A game of Pyloff will therefore take several times as long as a game
   of Go on the same sized board. For example, a 10x10 Go board has room
   for 100 pieces whereas a 10x10 Pyloff board has room for 385 pieces
   (although these limits will never actually be reached).

   Each ball in a cannonball stacking has up to twelve connected
   neighbours, however only the four squarely adjacent neighbours on the
   same level count as freedoms in Pyloff (as in Go), not diagonally
   adjacent neighbours on the next level up/down. This is for two main
   reasons:
   1) It makes groups easier to surround (otherwise captures would rarely
   occur); and
   2) It means that some members of surrounded groups may remain
   uncovered (otherwise only singleton captures would remove pieces from
   the board).

   Some multiplayer Go variants relax the connection definition so that
   enemy groups may consist of stones of any colour except the current
   player's. Pyloff maintains the stricter definition - that any group
   may only consist of one colour - to encourage captures.

   Translating Pyloff to the hexagonal grid is complicated by phase
   problems; for any packed level there are two ways to pack the level
   above, both of which are valid but incompatible. The square grid is
   better suited to ball-stacking games of this type.

Syntax

The move syntax is:

     pyloff move board# userid password a7   (place a piece at A7)
     pyloff move board# userid password swap (swap sides - second move only)

History

Pyloff rules copyright (c) Cameron Browne in February 2006.

   The name Pyloff derives from the fact that pieces form piles and are
   taken off the board following capture. This is in contrast to the
   related game Pylon, in which captures result in pieces being added to
   the board.

Implementation and Help file by Cameron Browne, February 2006.