[pbmserv] Broadcast from dshort via PBM Server

A couple of months ago I announced my intention of organizing a new
Omegachess tournament
on Richard's Play By Email server. So far, 8 people have indicated to me
their desire to play in
this event. (Those players are myself, ragnar, nantonas, sharkey, jova1,
chyn, eholzman and
thrawn).

I was hoping for a bigger response, but I now believe that it will be
feasible for me to run this
event with 10 players. Therefore I am announcing that I still have 2 spots
open for this
tournament. If you are an enthusiast of chess variants I strongly urge you
to email me at
davidnyjfan2006@hotmail.com ASAP before these last 2 spots fill up. Don't
forget to tell me
your PBM userid. What I have decided to do is to break the field of 10
players into 2 sections
of 5 players each. I will rank the 10 participants 1 through 10 according to
their current
Omegachess ratings, ranking established players above provisions and
unrateds at the bottom of the field. Section A will have players 1, 3, 5, 7
and 9,  and Section B will have players 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.
In each section, each player will play a total of 4 games concurrently, one
game against each of
the other players in his section, two games with the white pieces and two
games with the black
pieces. The 2 section winners and 3 "wild-card" players (non-section winners
with the 3 next best
won-lost records) will advance to a 5-man finals section which will then be
conducted the same
way as the preliminary round sections. The winner of the finals section is
the winner of the
tournament.

I have decided that we will be using a total time control cap of 270 days
per game.
Thus the first round can take no more than a year and a half to finish. In
all likelihood it
probably will not go that long. Unfortunately I seem to recall Richard
Rognlie once telling me that
total time cap games continue to tick when a player is on move even if he
has requested to
be placed on the vacation list; Richard said the software on his server
cannot prevent that.
My advice to players is to try to send moves quickly during the opening and
conserve time
for later in the game as positions get more complicated.

Are there any prizes for this tournament? I would love to be able to offer
some one an Omegachess set as first prize, but the company doesn't seem to
be making them any more.
Perhaps I can offer the next best thing. I will offer the winner of this
tournament a free copy
of ZILLIONS OF GAMES 2, which has a retail value of about $35. For more info
go to

http://www.zillionsofgames.com/

Zillions of Games can be used to play chess variants. The additional files
which are needed to
play games like Omegachess, Doublechess, Capablanca and other similiar
variants which do not
come with the game can be downloaded for free from www.chessvariants.com
I will arrange for the winner of the Omegachess tournament to provide me
with his home
mailing address, and I will pay for a copy of the CD to be mailed directly
to his home after the
tournament is over.

If I should suddenly receive an unexpectedly enthusiastic response to this
broadcast and
I receive more than 2 new entries in the next several days, I may try to
expand the
field to 15 players and break them up into 3 five-man sections. It's not too
late to tell all of
your friends who like chess about my tournament and get them to sign up for
this
OMEGACHESS email tournament on Richard's Play By Email Server.

By the way, I probably will be looking to start up a new tournament in plain
old ordinary
good old fashioned CHESS pretty soon--- keep your eyes out for a future
broadcast from me
about that!!

Search?Your way, your world, right now!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&FORM=WLMTAG